He devised an outline for the guidelines on conscious sedation and how it pertains to dental practice in light of the COVID-19 pandemic which was published in the prestigious British Dental Journal, the official publication of the British Dental Association. This assumed importance in order to frame practice methodologies for patients requiring sedation during the pandemic.
He also designed a protocol for the management of facial injuries in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic which was subsequently published in the journal Injury, which is published on behalf of fourteen trauma societies all over the world including the British Trauma Society and AOTrauma. This simplistic yet detailed protocol provides guidance to units trying to decide treatment allocation during the pandemic.
His recommendations on the management of facial fractures in the COVID era were also published in the British Dental Journal wherein he outlined certain essential fracture types requiring immediate attention, which could not be deferred for the sake of the pandemic.
His innovation of a technique to perform surgical dental extractions in a manner that does not produce aerosols was published last year in the British Dental Journal. This technique has since been widely utilized the world over.
His recommendations regarding PPE equipment and thermal screening of patients have also been recognized and published in the British Dental Journal along with his recommendations pertaining to aerosol generating procedures in Orthodontics, the branch of dentistry dealing with braces.
His upcoming research would aim to scientifically evaluate whether there exist any COVID-19 related signs and symptoms in the craniofacial region. An issue of importance as it would cut out the jargon being circulated in the community through various platforms and provide some much-needed answers based on scientific evidence.
1. Sahni V. High aerosol generating potential. British Dental Journal. 2020 May;228(10):734
2. Sahni V. Another way for fractured jaws. British Dental Journal. 2020 May;228(10):736-.
3. Sahni V. A protocol for the management of maxillofacial injuries in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Injury. 2020 Oct 1;51(10):2326-8.
4. Sahni V. Battle ready for maxillofacial injuries. Injury. 2020 Oct 1.
5. Sahni V. No chisels. British Dental Journal. 2020;229(1):4.
6. Sahni V. PPE update. British Dental Journal. 2020 Nov;229(9):567-8.
7. Sahni V. Three updates. British Dental Journal. 2020 Sep;229(5):265.
Dr. Vaibhav can be contacted at: firstname.lastname@example.org